Friday, August 20, 2010

Welcome!

Hello curious readers and welcome to JCPS Confidential.

I am a JCPS employee, parent and taxpayer who is interested in getting past the shields of bureaucracy and secrecy that obscure the inner workings of this government agency. It would be easy to walk away from the problems by getting a new job and pretending that everything is OK, but I can't do that. As a JCPS employee I am privy to some of the behind-the-scenes shenanigans and I plan to use this blog for three purposes:

1. Encourage whistleblowers
2. Give a voice to teachers, parents, students and other stakeholders
3. Hold JCPS accountable

The beginning of the 2010-2011 school year gives me a lot to write about -- the new school assignment plan, the busing disaster (and subsequent principal suspensions), falling test scores, unethical athletic recruitment, school audits, and so many other things. I look forward to publishing plenty of good, solid information on this blog -- unverified reports will be marked as such -- and I will try to get sources to go on the record as often as possible. As you can imagine, in many cases the sources will be JCPS employees who (like me) wish to remain anonymous or pseudonymous.

6 comments:

  1. Your credibility is challenged when you "explain" that you can't "walk away" & get a "new job." Is this because you are hooked on the 12-month salary for a 9.5-month job, or because you "need" the generous health insurance, or because you look forward to the retirement benefits? Or is it because you "love the children" but don't want to work for less perks?
    Otherwise, I was looking forward to an honest blog on behind-the-scenes JCPS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You realize your name shows up under "About me" in the sidebar, right? Unless that's a pseudonym, I'd be concerned about an imminent firing. Bureaucracies don't usually take kindly to anyone airing their dirty laundry. Though I support your idea - if anything could benefit from more transparency, it's the school system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How will you get people to go on "on record" unless you ask them and let them know where the info will be posted? Eventually one of your fellow JCPS employees will rat you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several friends who are JCPS employees and the horror stories they tell are beyond belief! I had high hopes for this site but it already seems dead. Been a month and nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To "Repurpose" - you are assuming that I am a teacher.

    To "Backlashblues" - it's a pseudonym.

    To "Doug Davis" - I'll call them on the phone.

    To "google" - Tell your friends to email me. I can't publish anything unless people contact me and give me information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. off subject I suppose but what is the deal with the kid at Frayser? If his parents spoke english I bnelieve they would know what happened already. Sit the bad ass kids that were in the bathroom down and tell them no one leaves until they know what happened. The story is just gettting fishy and someone needs to act like this kid matters! Somali or not!!

    ReplyDelete